How Do I Stop My Door From Squeaking?
A squeaky door can be an irritating problem, but thankfully, it’s one that can be resolved fairly easily with some simple DIY techniques. Whether it’s a misaligned frame, softened wood, or poorly lubricated hinges, here are some tips for how to get rid of the squeak.
Identify the Cause
Check the door frame to ensure it’s square and secure. If the problem persists due to a misaligned frame or rotted wood, the issue is more significant, and you may need to replace the door or the frame. On the other hand, if the frame is ok, the squeaking is likely a result of dirt, grime, rust, or the hinges loosening over time.
Tools That You’ll Need
- Steel wool
- Rags or towels
- Spray lubricant
- Finishing nail
- White lithium grease
- Cooking oil or mayonnaise
- Household cleaner
Next, You’ll Need to Follow These Steps to Fix that Squeak:
- Use Spray Lubricant on the Hinges – Apply a lubricating spray (like WD-40®) to the hinges. If the squeak persists, you’ll need to remove the hinge pins.
- Remove the Hinge Pins– Use a hammer and a finishing nail to loosen the pins, then pull them out with pliers, but only remove one at a time.
- Inspect and Clean Hinge Pins – Clean the pins with steel wool and household cleaner to remove any grime or rust.
- Coat Hinge Pins in White Lithium Grease – These help to lubricate the pin and prevent rust. Reinstall the pins and ensure that the squeaking is gone.
- Wipe Away Excess Grease – Clean any leftover grease from the hinges, door frame, and floor.
- DIY Lubricants – If you don’t have any spray lubricants or grease, alternatives like hairspray, cooking oil, or mayonnaise can be used. Apply these to the hinge pins, reinstall, and test the door.
Fixing a squeaky door is not only quick and affordable, but also an easy task that doesn’t require expensive tools or supplies. Understanding the root cause is key to fixing the problem. The proper application of door hinge lubricant, whether commercial or DIY, can transform that annoyance into a smooth and silent operation.
Ask the Experts
For more advice about how to get rid of that squeaky door, check with the experts here at Mans Lumber & Home. We are a custom millwork shop offering premium moldings and lumber. Since 1900, the Mans family has served the lumber and building material needs of the Metro Detroit and Ann Arbor communities. Over 100 years later, we continue to operate our company with a customer centered focus. Our employees undergo continuous training and education to ensure that our customers have access to the latest product information and building techniques. With locations in Trenton, Canton, Birmingham, and Ann Arbor, we concentrate on providing quality building materials and outstanding customer service. If you would like more information about the products and services we offer, visit our website, give us a call at 734-237-7914, or drop by any of our four locations. We look forward to serving you!